Enter The Secret Garden
Enter The Secret Garden
Enter The Secret Garden: A Generative Writing Retreat
October 5-10, 2019, Highlights Retreat Center, Honesdale, PA
Come as you are. No work to prepare. No work to critique. This year’s autumn sojourn is a transformative retreat into your own wild garden of creativity.
Bust through creative blocks
Clarify your work-in-progress
Start something new
The Pneuma Retreat was the perfect blend of inspiration, learning, reflection, and work…Highlights itself is such an ideal location — and the food! What a treat to be so well fed and pampered for six days. The whole experience was amazing!
- Sabrina Mock Rossi
Unlock your own Secret Garden: Download our Exercise Book to try some of our writing prompts.
What You Get:
· 5 nights / 6 days at Highlights Retreat Center (think gorgeous autumn countryside, your own room or cabin, the most delicious food ever, unlimited snacks—and booze, and max coziness)
· Process-driven workshops and lectures that will give you life-long tools so that you can bust creative blocks and wrangle wiley stories all on your own
· Guidance on how to use generative writing to help you deepen your craft and become your own teacher, as well as how to use this work to more efficiently craft your stories. This sets the foundation for a lifetime of generative writing.
· One-on-one coaching with Heather and Lisa on process, craft, publishing, meditation—whatever you want, sister!
· A transformative 6 glorious days to focus on you and your creativity
· Permission to experiment, explore, and dare bravely in your work.
· New writer buddies who will walk this path with you long after the retreat ends
· A beautiful retreat PDF of all the exercises from both workshops so that you can bloom for months to come
· A pre-retreat generative writing toolkit of 30 exercises that you can begin practicing with before our adventure begins
· 2 months of free access to Bookflow after the retreat to help you develop and organize your ideas
· A critique of the first chapter you produce after the retreat by either Heather or Lisa
Tuition (payment options below): $800
Room & Board (paid here via the Highlights site - payment plans available): $745
*** You need to make a non-refundable $200 deposit for both tuition and room and board to save your spot for the retreat. Final payments are due by September 5, 2019. ***
The Pneuma Retreat surpassed all of my expectations.
Lisa Papdemetriou is the author of A Tale of Highly Unusual Magic (a South Asia Book Award Highly Commended Title), the New York Times-bestselling novel Middle School: My Brother is a Big, Fat Liar and Homeroom Diaries (both with James Patterson), the Confectionately Yours series (over 800,000 books in print), and many other novels for middle grade and young adult readers. Her books have appeared on many prestigious lists, including Bank Street Best Books of the Year, the NYPL Books for the Teen Age, and the Texas Lone Star Reading List and have been translated into French, German, Spanish, Polish, Italian, Portuguese, and Japanese. She is the founder of the cloud-based writing tool, Bookflow.pub. Learn more about Lisa and her books at www.lisapapa.com.
Heather Demetrios is a critically acclaimed author of six young adult novels. She has an MFA in Writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts and is a recipient of the PEN New England Susan P. Bloom Discovery Award for her debut novel, Something Real. Her novels include I’ll Meet You There, Bad Romance, as well as the Dark Caravan fantasy series: Exquisite Captive, Blood Passage, and Freedom’s Slave. She is also the editor of the anthology, Dear Heartbreak: YA Authors and Teens on the Dark Side of Love and the author of the upcoming contemporary Little Universes and Codename Badass, a feminist pop biography about WWII lady spy, Virginia Hall. Her honors include books that have been named Bank Street Best Children’s Books, YALSA Best Fiction For Young Adults selections, a Goodreads Choice Nominee, a Kirkus Best Book, and a Barnes and Noble Best Book. Find out more about Heather and her books at www.heatherdemetrios.com.
The Pneuma retreat is the best thing I have done for myself in years.
Email our retreat assistant, Margaret Torres, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign-ups close on August 31st!